Work From Home – Tips and Tricks for Working Moms
I love working from home (no mom said this ever). Despite that every mom is grateful for work from home as the amount of time they can spend with little one is a blessing in disguise. They can watch them grow and will be able to witness their child every milestone.
We are almost through one and half year of the Pandemic and most of us are doing work from home and adapting well through this. Though it is a daunting task, the silver lining is moms are able to spend more time with kids.
Let's make work from home enjoyable and productive by using these tips:
With planning, focus and determination work from home can be very rewarding for moms.
Divide work and ask for help
- Don’t try to be a supermom and do it all. Do set priorities and try to focus on one thing at one time. Follow a certain timetable and divide your household work and office work accordingly.
- If you need more help, ask for it. Divide work among family members. Ask your partner to pitch in household work or babysitting duties.
Prepare well in Advance
- Set your timetable day in advance. Do make sure kids’ class, your important meeting and husband's important meeting are not clashing.
-To ease housework, set a weekly menu or if possible, prepare masala in bulk for 2-3 days of vegetables/curries.
- Do set kids activities, books etc day in advance. Make free play areas in the house, where kids can easily spend hours or so playing and engaging themselves.
Avoid last minute rush
- Do get on system five minutes before the important meeting to avoid any technical issues or last-minute rush.
- On day of hectic work schedule, opt for simple meals like Pulav, Khichdi, vegetable cheela etc.
Plan for alternative
- Don’t guilt over giving them screentime. Remember you know what is best for your child. Use parental controls on their device and have educational content ready which they can watch in wee hours.
- Don’t guilt over not being able to spend much time with them on a hectic day. Always remember quality of time is more important than quantity. If you are spending one hour with a child, make sure it's memorable and enjoyable for them.
Maintain work life Balance
- Though we are bound in the house 24 hours, sometimes work life balance takes a toss even though everyone is available for a full day. So, to maintain quality of life, set aside one hour for family. In this one hour do something which the family enjoys, like dancing, going on walk, playing board games etc.
- Though we are inbound, do try to engage in some physical activities. Do some sort of yoga/medication to keep stress at bay.
- Have some time or quiet time to plan and analyse the day or to be just with yourself. For some quiet time, try to wake up early in the morning and have a cup of tea in peace or enjoy that scoop of ice-cream late at night while watching your favourite series.
- Utilize Sundays well for recharging and back to the grind of weekdays.
Explore more articles on working moms.