Why A Little Screen Time Is Must For Today's Generation
In this unavoidable situation of Pandemic hitting our lives hard, we weren’t left with any other option for restricting our children from the use of screens. They are all the time and the parents are also working 8 hours on the screens so how can one stop a child with the use of a screen?
Even their schools are shifted to online and it's been more than a year that we are into this situation. In today’s generation, the schools conduct their classes for 2-3 hours daily which has become a mandate for children to come up.
And let me tell you mommies, screens are here to stay and can offer many positives too.
As this era is developing and adapting Technological changes swiftly, the importance for technical literacy is also growing worldwide. The use of technology in initial-childhood inspires growth of hand-eye coordination and augments fine motor skills because they improve critical thinking and have faster response time. One example of this is online games, many of which depend on the speed of activities. Many computer games also cheer attention to detail and the capability to put clues together that can solve a puzzle. These enhance a child’s intellectual skills, help in research skills, boost thinking capabilities, and help in educational and work tasks in life.
So, let’s accept the fact and allow our children a limited and safe Screen time. Below are the few tips for parents to take care off:
- Keep a watch on what your child is watching.
- Try to keep the sessions fun and interactive (Keep yourself involved in the session).
- Show them the content suitable for their age.
- Show them content of good behaviour, such as cooperation, friendship, and concern for others.
- Try to find out their interests so that they can pursue one physically.
- Make connections to meaningful events or places of interest (like festivals and events happening around us, such as Roads, traffic, garden and many more day-to-day happenings).
- Be aware of advertising and how it influences your child’s choice.
- Encourage your child to learn other activities such as sports, music, art, and hobbies that do not involve screens.
- Set a good example with your own safe and healthy screen habits.
- Keep adequate breaks in between (Water breaks) so that their eyes don’t strain.
- Teach children about online privacy and safety.
There’s no contradicting the fact that we live in a world which is dominated by technology. Every year, the use of innovative technology ideas makes the world a better place to be. We can acquire more, experience new modernizations, and stay associated with one another via technology. So, don’t let your kid occupy time alone just gazing at a screen. Use screen time as an opportunity to interact and gel-up with your child and try to relate them with practicality about the world. Positive and healthy screen use is possible with proper guidance and reliability.
Pratiksha Thakkar Lokwani is an Experienced Business Analyst and Technical Content Writer working in a Multinational company with a demonstrated history of working in the information technology and services industry. She is a wanderer, artist, and jovial mom of a daughter wanting to pen down her experiences and educate people around and make them pre-pared so that everyone can enjoy this beautiful journey of birthing and motherhood.
Found this article useful? Read more blogs at www.themomstore.in
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this post are the personal views of the author. They do not necessarily reflect the views of The Mom Store.