Tips to Celebrate your Little One's Birthday in a Sustainable Way
Blog Submitted by Urvashi Sareen
Photo by Lidya Nada on Unsplash
We as parents want to give the best to our kids, right from the moment they are born. One day which holds a very special place in our hearts is our child's birthday. Months of planning and lots of effort goes in throwing that perfect birthday party for our little one. Sadly, many birthday parties end up causing a lot of damage to our environment because of the raw materials used. However, the good news is that we can do our bit towards the environment by celebrating our little one's birthday in a sustainable way.
Planning a sustainable birthday party might seem an impossible task, but there are many eco-friendly options available nowadays. Have a look at the below noted tips to know more:
- Use eco-friendly decorations: Instead of buying balloons and banners, make decorations at home by using reusable materials. You can make banners and party hats by using construction paper, old cardboard or you can even use cloth. You can ask kids to paint and decorate their own party hats. This will be a fun activity to keep kids busy at the party.
- Say no to disposables: Paper plates plus plastic cutlery are a big no because you can use them just once. We would suggest you either go for reusable plastic plates, cups and cutlery or you can go for plates and cups made from bamboo.
- Bye bye to goody bag: We know kids just love the concept of good bag but a goody bag has loads of wasteful material which will eventually go in the garbage bin. Instead of taking a plastic goody bag, you can go for a paper or cloth bag and fill it with eco-friendly party favours such as a flower bulb or a packet of plant seeds. You can also include useful items such as pens, notepads and jigsaw puzzles.
- Send party invitations online: Instead of getting invitations printed on paper, you can send them through mail. This not only saves paper but also ensures that all the guests get the invitation. You can add your personal touch to the invite and that too without spending a bomb.
- Reuse your old wrapping paper: There is no point buying expensive wrapping papers because they will end up in garbage only. Instead, you can use old wrapping papers or can even use old newspapers for wrapping. There are many DIY videos online which will give you an idea for the same.
- Bake the cake yourself: If you bake the cake at home for your little one’s birthday party then you can be sure that there is no wastage and the best thing is that you can bake as per your choice. Just ensure that you use all fondant scraps in the cake itself. One great way to use these scraps is by making cake pops for kids.
Now that you know all the tips, go ahead celebrate your little one’s birthday party in a sustainable way.
Urvashi Newar has a great passion for writing. She has been into this line for almost 7 years. Mom to a 3 year old girl, she loves penning down her thoughts on motherhood. She believes in sharing her motherhood journey to help new m