Dodging Mom Life
Photo by Paul Hanaoka on Unsplash
The claustrophobia of the lockdown seems to be getting on the nerves and time at home which we craved for once, now seems never ending.
The clamour around the house and my juggling between characters has my mind calling out louder each day ‘I NEED TO ESCAPE’. You know its time for a TIME OUT,
- When a call for diaper change feels like a personal offence.
- When the positive attitude that you have been holding tight to, starts to slip off your hands and you feel miserable about it.
- When you start to abhor your own rules to discipline and the household chores seem like mountains to climb.
That’s when it becomes absolutely necessary to go on a mom only vacay. It surely is not a luxury but a necessity to keep yourself sane, normal, healthy and to pull through each coming day. It is in fact the best gift you can give yourself and your family, time with yourself, to be refreshed and charged before you are back on duty.
Well, the options you have here are countless for all budgets, you may want to
- A beach blast holiday
- A trip to the mesmerizing mountains
- A self-love spa day
- A peppy pub outing
- Or just a pyjama party with your girl gang. The list could go on and on.
Wait! Before we get further into day dreaming about these fantasy getaways, let’s get back to today’s reality. All of the above options are going to be kind of just fantasies only in the near future. So, what about the vacay? Should we give up the idea and keep going crazy at home? Of course not, we can have some mini hideout plans at zero budget.
- Play your go to work out numbers and go on. Burn out all the stress and end it with a contented smile 😊
- If you are the one who loves to groove to just any music that falls upon your ears. Go for it. By the way, I suck at it ☹
- Even if you are an amateur, YouTube I am sure will be your guiding light. Remember to choose a dish that’s your personal favourite.
- Grab the book that you have been intending to read for so long. Even if you are able to just finish 5 pages, its worth, at least you started. Not to forget, the convenience of audio books if you can’t get yourself to sit at one place and concentrate. They are my kitchen time buddies.
- A brisk walk with headphones plugged and your favourites playlist on. While you can’t go out, your destination for this could be your terrace, parking lot or your garden, if you have the luxury of one. This is my favourite!!!
- If your idea of chilling is to do just nothing, so be it. No judgements. Whip up your favourite drink and enjoy it in the peace of your balcony all by yourself.
- If none of the above are your cup of tea, do what pleases you. But do it to find yourself once again and put together your thoughts.
One thing that often comes to my mind when I crave for such a time is that why do I want an escape from the people and place I love most, my family and my home. Is it being selfish or shying away from my responsibilities? And then I think of the last time I took the break and the positive benefits it brought with itself. Some of my takeaways are:
- While such a short time does not bring out a new me from within but it surely helps me reconcile with my petty stuffed feelings.
- Gathered thoughts, put together me and a catch up on my stress busters, music for sure and maybe some art and writing.
- Daddy time. While I am away, baby and daddy spend some time together, they struggle, they laugh, they play. He spoils her a bit but I can live with it. It’s a refreshing change for her too.
- And most of all, the break helps me appreciate the little pleasures of life. The things that were wrecking my nerves a few hours ago become acceptable. The lovely moments that had taken a backseat over responsibilities become more relevant.
Dear Super Moms,
If you have been putting aside a desire just because it was not priority over things that were more spontaneous and need of the hour, its high time you made room for it. Making time for something you love to do is all it takes to begin with. Do take that much needed vacation within the capacity of your time and budget.
You can’t pour from an empty cup. Take care of yourself.
See you on the other side!!!
Happy weekend 😊
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this post are the personal views of the author. They do not necessarily reflect the views of The Mom Store.