Dealing With Babies After They Get Vaccinated
Photo by Kelly Sikkema on Unsplash
Hello moms, I am back again. Hope my articles are able to help and lessen your motherhood woes up to some extent. Since I am also a new mom and still in the learning process about various motherhood experiences, I would be happy to learn and read from you too.
So, today I am going to discuss a few ways to take care of our babies right after vaccination. Although equally painful for a mother as well as a baby vaccination is very important for the sound health of a baby. At any cost, it should not be avoided. It is a must for babies sound physical and mental growth.
SIDE EFFECTS OF VACCINATION-
- Fever- It's a totally normal thing that the baby might be getting fever right after vaccination. Although there is nothing much to be tensed about it and the paediatrician generally prescribes medicine which can help the fever to subside. But, in case the fever persists for more than two days please check with your doctor as to get a better insight and reasons regarding it.
- Pain and Swelling- An unavoidable and after effect of a vaccine is pain and swelling. And since the babies’ skin is very soft it affects it much more than us. It causes a lot of discomfort for them. Now, there’s a solution for this. We can opt for the PAINLESS vaccinations which are readily available in any hospital or clinic. It's totally safe and the baby is quite comfortable after the vaccine. There is no pain or fever associated with it.
But, in case you don’t want it, moms, you can use these tips to help relieve your baby from the pain.
- Soft Massage- You can softly massage the area with your fingertips in a circular motion. The baby might not allow you to touch the area. If so, do it when he/she is asleep. But, please don’t press the area.
- Warm Compress- You can also heat a clean cloth and put it gently around the area. But, be careful not to put it directly on the affected area.
- Red or Pus Bump Filled Bump- It doesn’t generally happen but you never know. In case you see a bump turning red and filled with pus immediately rush to your doctor. But, in case it’s a normal bump don’t worry it will be subsided in a day or two.
- Cranky Baby- A very disturbing effect of the vaccination is a cranky baby. Since the baby is in pain and discomfort it makes him too cranky. He/ she tends to get irritated easily. So, try to be with the baby as much as possible. Try to soothe him/her with activities that will help them to get distracted and forget about the pain. In case, it’s a very small baby Mom’s keep breastfeeding them at regular intervals to help relieve and ease them of the pain.
- Lack of Interest for Food- The baby or the child may also develop a lack of interest for foods for a day or two. So, don’t be too worried or harsh with them. In case the baby doesn’t want to eat don’t force-feed them instead of giving them some time to ease up. Try to give them plenty of fluids like juices. For newborns as well as babies below six months breastfeeding would be fine and it would also calm the baby.
- Too Much of Irritation and Crying- If the baby keeps on crying and getting irritated for more than two, three days then don’t be late. Consult your paediatrician immediately. This applies to fever as well.
- Hygiene- Please also don’t forget to keep the vaccinated area dry and clean. Leave it open for a few minutes. Also, don’t pull out the bandages on the area yourself. Let it come out on its own.
Click here to know about your Baby's First Vaccines And What You Need To Know
That’s all for today moms! Hope these tips will be helpful to you all. I would really like to read your comments and suggestions. So, do keep posting with your valuable comments.
Happy Reading & Take Care!
Jusmi Saikia, mother to a one year old daughter is a teacher by profession in one of the reputed schools in Bangalore, India. She shares an immense love for writing as well as reading. She loves to write and share her ideas with the world around.
Found this article useful? Read more blogs at www.themomstore.in.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this post are the personal views of the author. They do not necessarily reflect the views of The Mom Store.
Muchas gracias. ?Como puedo iniciar sesion?
Thankyou so much Bhonti for reading it !!
Very interesting & informative